Sunday, January 10, 2021

Adding non GW miniatures to my Vampire Counts army

Last two weeks I've been painting non GW miniatures for a change. I've used three different companies for the first time. I'm pretty happy with the quality of their stuff and I'm going to use them again.

I've had my eye on Scibor Miniatures Necromancer for quite some time and finally decided to get it and paint it. He will be designated to the Todtstein Shock Troops. Model is cast in resin, great quality, no air bubbles, minor flesh to be cleaned. I had to place him on 50mm base, so he is taking four spaces in the unit, which is kind a logical since there are three zombies emerging from the ground around him. I had to put in extra effort on the base, to make the zombies look as though they are raising from the ground.

I'm pleased with the end result. Only thing I'm not 100% sure about is the green glow. Think maybe it would look better if I made it a bit more subtle.

warhammer necromancer
warhammer necromancer

Another company I've been wanting to try out for years is the Reaper Miniatures. I've always been a huge fan of their Bone Horror model, so I ordered it together with some Arachno Assassins. These are metal miniatures, although the company has many ranges, some in plastic, some in metal. I decided to paint one of the Assassins first. The design is really simple but effective! Since the model is 90% bone, you can paint it really fast.

Far back in the past, while browsing the internet, I stumbled upon Mournful Knights by Gamezone Miniatures. My mind was blown! They looked so menacing, vicious and packed with action. The whole unit looked as if in the glorious charge. I thought these models are really ahead of it's time. And still, even today I consider them to be one of the best cavalry models out there. That being said, there is some work required prior painting. The miniatures are metal and there are some gaps that needed to be filled with modeling putty. Another thing thing I noticed while painting my first knight is that sometimes it is hard to differentiate what is what on the model. All in all I really like the final result and can't wait to add more knights to the unit!

blood knight
blood knight
blood knight
blood knight

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to a wider world! I think about 90% of my minis are non GW now, as theres so much choice out there and greater freedom accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are totally right! And it's a real joy to explore the internet in search of new minis and companies and adding variety to your miniature collection.

      Delete
  2. I love the Mournful Knight! Not only the painting is great, but the mini - which I haven't known before - seems to fit steeds from FEC endless spells quite well. Think they can be a start of very cool undead cavalry unit together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Yep, I think they will look awesome together once I paint all five of them. I'm currently working on the second one.

      Delete