Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Working on the next big skeleton unit

So for my next big skeleton unit I am going to be using Games Workshop Grave Guard models from 1999. I like the models. However, I don't think they fit perfectly in style with other Vampire Counts miniatures from that period. Perhaps that is the reason they were very short-lived and were replaced in 2001. Also they newer made a command group for this unit which is kind of annoying.

At first, I painted all the clothes in black, and armor in dark metallic color. I wanted to add some red, since all my units have some red on them, so I decided to paint the straps in red. However, after finishing first four, I wasn't 100% satisfied. It turned out I didn't really like the red straps in the end. It just wasn't realistic since these would be definitely made in leather. So I decided to paint them in brown colors. However now I was left without any red, so I decided to ditch the rusty shields and replace them with Empire spearmen shields which I then painted in red color. These shields have the symbol of a lion on them which kind of looks like a dragon, so I think they fit quite nicely with the unit. I also decided to add some rust to the armor plating. So here is the final paint scheme I'm satisfied with:

grave guard

8 comments:

  1. I do like those new shields! Very characterful on a unit of skeletons and pracitcally scream for a converted command group and fitting name. Something like the Lion's Road maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Cool idea for the name! I was also thinking about incorporating the lion theme into the name but I haven't decided yet.

      Delete
  2. Great use of the shields. Well done with skillful addition of the red in the final scheme (perfectly balancing the bright green).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the subtle yet striking colour scheme. I've never seen these minis before now, fantastic looking unit.

    Shane. wsm.

    ReplyDelete